httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Apache autoconf leakage :-)
Date Mon, 06 Dec 1999 14:05:28 GMT

> > This is bad for the same reason that have APR gushing macros is bad,
> > except in reverse.  Most third-party modules are going to include our
> > config.h file, if they are using autoconf, we will end up breaking them
> > badly.  I am beginning to dislike autoconf intensely.
>
>     Even the current stable version of Apache has this problem.
>     HAVE_SNPRINTF is the worst macro "leak," and breaks the PHP
>     build regularly on Mac OS X.

That's why I want to fix this problem.  I believe the only fix, is to
create two config header files.  This causes MUCH more work for the
autoconf/automake maintainers, but much less for others.  The first config
header is internal only, and has all of the regular autoconf/automake
macros.  The second is a MUCH smaller version, which has namespace
protected versions of these macros.  This is the approach APR has taken
recently, and it is a big improvement, and it allowed me to clean up the
autoconf stuff in APR.

The other solution I have, and I'm not saying this is right, is to drop
automake/autoconf all together and roll our own similar package.  I would
love to look into adding the DEFINE_PREFIX macro I discuss later, but
stupid IP agreements ban me from looking too closely at GPL'ed code.  :-)

> > I figured that out, which is why I haven't patched it yet.  I am going to
> > do some research today to figure out how to get around this problem.  But,
> > PHP and any other package that uses automake/libtool really can't work
> > with us if these have to be exposed.
>
>     We had this problem as well when we needed to integrate the
>     helper libraries (libzend/TSRM) into PHP. All three packages
>     use automake, and thus all three config files contain PACKAGE
>     and VERSION. To get rid of these conflicting macros, they are
>     undefined after the config file is included.

Yeah, I noticed that, but I keep thinking there has to be a better way to
deal with this.  What I really want, is an (AM|AC)_DEFINE_PREFIX which
would tell automake/autoconf to ALWAYS put some prefix on all of their
macros.

I will be undef'ing these in Apache today, but I would urge that we find a
better solution or drop automake/autoconf all together.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd