httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Apache autoconf leakage :-)
Date Mon, 06 Dec 1999 12:09:33 GMT

> Apache is gushing macros, because everything has to include
> ap_config_auto.h.
>
> The only way I can think of to avoid this is to not include
> ap_config.h in httpd.h. I'm guessing this won't be a simple task,
> though.

This is bad for the same reason that have APR gushing macros is bad,
except in reverse.  Most third-party modules are going to include our
config.h file, if they are using autoconf, we will end up breaking them
badly.  I am beginning to dislike autoconf intensely.

> > The two obvious ones I have hit are PACKAGE and VERSION.  I will be
> > fixing these very shortly by re-naming them to AP_PACKAGE and
> > AP_VERSION in Apache
>
> PACKAGE and VERSION are set by AC_INIT_AUTOMAKE, and the automake docs
> say these are required. Plus there are the various HAVE_blah macros
> made by automake which would just be pure hell to try to cram into a
> namespace.

I figured that out, which is why I haven't patched it yet.  I am going to
do some research today to figure out how to get around this problem.  But,
PHP and any other package that uses automake/libtool really can't work
with us if these have to be exposed.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd