httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Koen Holtman <kholt...@mail.cern.ch>
Subject RE: .tgz MIME type?
Date Fri, 03 Dec 1999 08:58:30 GMT

At the risk of saying the obvious:

.tgz is gzipped tar, this extension is popular in the Linux world, maybe
elsewhere too.  When you download a .tgz from the web you usually want to
save it directly to disk and use 'tar zxvf' on it later.  The best MIME
type for the HTTP server to use is therefore application/octet-stream.  A
content-type of application/x-tar and content-encoding of gzip will
usually make the browser do the wrong thing.

Koen.