httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <>
Subject Re: Solaris 2.7 and getting a clean coredump
Date Thu, 02 Dec 1999 21:33:31 GMT
On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> Anyone have any hints as how to proceed... apache bombs out with a
> bus/segv's quite often.. and I'd like a core.
> As we have 200+ active processes and 50 req/second attaching a debuger to
> PID's is not an option.. kind of difficult to guess which one :-)

Is that really true?  If it happens often, and as long as you can have your
MaxRequestsPerChild up high enough, then why not just pick one, attach
to it, and hope it chokes?  It will slow thing down a little bit, may take
a while, but it often works.  You have to muck a bit with gdb to
get it to not stop on various signals.k

> Now I've set/tried
> 	ulimit -c unlimited
> 	cd to the core-directory before startup
> 	CoreDumpDirectory ...
> 	the coredump directory is rw for the world. There is
> 	enough disk space.

If a process has setuid(), it can't dump core.

So you have to make it not setuid().  If you can reproduce this problem
in testing, running on a port >1024 and starting as the user it should
run as can do this.

Otherwise, you can perhaps hack your kernel to either allow anyone
to bind to low ports or to allow programs that have setuid() to
core dump or use a hack to pass the listening descriptor in as a
command line option.

View raw message