httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: HARD_SERVER_LIMIT
Date Sun, 05 Dec 1999 20:54:26 GMT

On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Wilfredo Sanchez wrote:

>   Is there any reason why Windows has a larger HARD_SERVER_LIMIT
> than Unix?  Why not bump up the value to 1024 for Unix as well?
>
>   Apparently the apple.com guys don't want to use Apache because
> they've run into this limit when they tried it out. I can build them
> one with a larger limit, but I'm wondering if I should just change
> this limit for the built-in Apache on OS X, since we have no reason
> to think the system will crap out, and in any case we'd fix it if it
> did.  Is that a reasonable thing to do?

In that case you could, and propably should, bump up that value. Unlike on
windows, where it is just the # of threads, on unix it control's a few
more things. Apart from the # of processes, it also is a hard max for the
size of the shared whatever table it uses (usually shared memory) etc.

Setting it high could cause some corresponding kernel tables go bang. But
on a sensible OS, low values like 1024 are no issue. Note though that on a
lowly loaded server, it is a bit of a waste, resource footprint wise, to
set it that high, 256 fits for 95% of the cases in my experience. The
remaining 5% know what they are doing... and know why they upp. it.

Dw