httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: Mass virtual hosting - how to handle ftp?
Date Fri, 03 Dec 1999 10:41:45 GMT

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Graham Leggett wrote:

> We have been looking at the mass virtual hosting module for Apache to
> create an environment where we can have lots of userids inside an LDAP
> database and host a website called <userid>.domain.com for each user.
> This is the easy part, mod_vhost_alias works great.
>
> The hard part is the fact that we also need to provide these users with
> ftp access to their directories... and we definitely don't want to
> create posix accounts so these people can do this, as this will mean
> extra work we want to avoid.
>
> Has this problem been solved by someone? If so, how?

I've done several custom hack's for customers based on the wu-ftpd and
effectivly chroot() the user to his section.

The backends we used withere either berkely DB (shared with apache and
mod_rewrite), Netscape's LDAP and, in one case, mSQL. But in all of the
cases, generalizing made little sense, as it was simpler to just cook a
custom hack for a specific case. We are only talking a couple of lines of
code.

Note that we had a _much_ harder time getting the ftpD to scale in the
rigth sort of way, and make sure we had some level of indirection when
'routing' a user to the right ftp server.

One important hack was to 'trap' some of the ls and other command possible
and not rely on a group/passwd and so on for the translation but issue the
native one.

DW