httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Finch <...@dotat.at>
Subject Re: Mass virtual hosting - how to handle ftp?
Date Thu, 02 Dec 1999 20:26:12 GMT
Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:

>The hard part is the fact that we also need to provide these users with
>ftp access to their directories... and we definitely don't want to
>create posix accounts so these people can do this, as this will mean
>extra work we want to avoid.

Demon's Homepages system handles this with a hacked ftpd that prevents
users from accessing paths outside their home directory (which is
determined from their dial-up hostname in a mod_vhost_alias-ish way).
This allows us to give them all the same user ID without them
interfering with each other's stuff. Authentication is done against
their dial-up account details in the RADIUS database. The code isn't
available, but I doubt you'd want it :-)

Tony.
--
let it be dot at