httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Finch <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0 STATUS
Date Thu, 02 Dec 1999 14:42:19 GMT
"Ralf S. Engelschall" <> wrote:
>But IMHO for Apache you also need _asynchronous_ resolving to make
>sure the server processes are not blocked out a thread inside the
>resolver library.

I'm not convinced that Apache's architecture would allow it to benefit
from an asynchronous resolver. What can a thread do while it's waiting
for a DNS reply?

>Something like GNU adns, BIND's libares, etc. I think is needed

AFAIK the asynchronous resolver that comes with bind is called arlib
(in the contrib tarball). "ares" is the MIT Project Athena resolver.

let it be dot at

View raw message