httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Finch <...@dotat.at>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0 STATUS
Date Thu, 02 Dec 1999 14:42:19 GMT
"Ralf S. Engelschall" <rse@engelschall.com> wrote:

>But IMHO for Apache you also need _asynchronous_ resolving to make
>sure the server processes are not blocked out a thread inside the
>resolver library.

I'm not convinced that Apache's architecture would allow it to benefit
from an asynchronous resolver. What can a thread do while it's waiting
for a DNS reply?

>Something like GNU adns, BIND's libares, etc. I think is needed
>here...

AFAIK the asynchronous resolver that comes with bind is called arlib
(in the contrib tarball). "ares" is the MIT Project Athena resolver.
ftp://athena-dist.mit.edu/pub/ATHENA/ares

Tony.
--
let it be dot at