httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Harrington <...@crosstor.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr Makefile.in
Date Thu, 23 Dec 1999 21:25:16 GMT
Sascha Schumann wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 22, 1999 at 05:52:05PM +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > Ryan Bloom wrote:

> > > When did that happen?  Is it APR or Apache that is requiring GNU make?
> >
> > Diagnosed: its the include stuff. You can't say:
> >
> > -include $(DEP_FILES)
> >
> > in BSD make. You have to include them individually with .include and
> > quotemarks...
> >
> > Does that work with GNU make?
> >

> include filename
>
>     is the portable version. Works with GNU, BSD, SysV make.

Except that with GNU make "include filename" and "-include filename"
are not quite the same thing.  If "include filename" can't find the
file, GNU make will try to rebuild filename.  If it doesn't know how
to rebuild it, it'll error out and die.  But if "-include filename"
can't find the file, GNU make doesn't care, it just treats the
command as a no-op and continues on its merry way.

So, I don't know why automake is specifying "-include" here, but
there may be a reason not to simply change to "include".

--
Tom Harrington
CrosStor Software, Inc.