httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Harrington <...@crosstor.com>
Subject Re: #ifdef MULTITHREAD in 1.3.9
Date Mon, 20 Dec 1999 17:48:23 GMT
Ryan Bloom wrote:

> > > We assume that none of the threads should die. I need to look at the code to
> > > be sure, but I think if a thread exits, it will cause the entire child
> > > process to exit (and be restarted by the parent).
> >
> > Oh, I see.  That'd be a Win32-specific detail that I was unaware of.
> > If true then this approach makes sense.  Thanks.
>
> I think for the most part, we assume on all platforms that if a thread
> exits for an unknown reason, the whole process will be going down.  The
> only real reason for a thread to die unexpectedly, is a seg fault, and
> that should take down the whole process.  The one OS I can think of where
> this isn't true, is Linux, because threads and processes are equivalent.

Given that Linux/Apache seems to be a popular combination, might it
make sense to add some sort of thread monitoring?  It might be that
the proper response to an unexpected thread exit on Linux is to
take down the process that started the threads (forcing a restart).
But if a thread can exit without being detected and/or causing a
restart, there's the possibility of the server gradually dying off
through undetected thread death.

--
Tom Harrington
CrosStor Software, Inc.