httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Bixby <mbi...@power.net>
Subject Re: horrible propagation delay for e-mail to new-httpd?
Date Tue, 07 Dec 1999 21:30:45 GMT

Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Mark Bixby wrote:
> > Mark Bixby wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi new-httpd,
> > >
> > > A message I mailed to new-httpd from my work address of mark_bixby@hp.com took
> > > THREE AND A HALF DAYS to actually be mailed to the list subscribers.
> >
> > But yet this message propagated within minutes so I'm confused as to why my
> >
> > Can anybody enlighten me?
>
> Yes.  You were posting from an address that was not subscribed to the
> list, and required moderator approval, which I usually do the rounds
> through once or twice a week for majordomo lists.  Once it moves to ezmlm
> the turnaround time can be much faster since I can separate moderate
> messages from bounce messages more easily.
>
>         Brian

OK, now I see what happened.

HP has apparently started doing domain hiding on their outbound mail gateway at
some point after I had subscribed to new-httpd using my default reply address
which was geographical in nature (i.e. mark_bixby@am.exch.hp.com).  So now that
the HP gateway is automatically rewriting my From: header to be
mark_bixby@hp.com, my post to new-httpd ended up being delayed.

We now interrupt this program while I unsubscribe myself as
mark_bixby@am.exch.hp.com and resubscribe as mark_bixby@hp.com.

- Mark Bixby
work: mark_bixby@hp.com (formerly mark_bixby@am.exch.hp.com)
!work: mbixby@power.net