httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Mass virtual hosting - how to handle ftp?
Date Fri, 03 Dec 1999 09:13:20 GMT
Jeffrey Baker wrote:

> Well, clearly your users must have some sort of account name and
> password already, else how were you planning to authenticate them?  It
> seems that if you already have an account database in LDAP it would be
> relatively minor to propogate the information from LDAP to /etc/passwd.

Creating an /etc/passwd file with 6 500 000 userids in it is going to be
a problem. Even with nss LDAP integration it means we have to maintain
posix account information for each user object - what an enormous pain.
Not to mention the added hassle of protecting our LDAP tree against the
possibility of adding extra attributes allowing shell access to boxes,
that sort of thing, only for the sake of ftp. Too much work, too much
risk, too little gain.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon