httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Baker <...@cp.net>
Subject Re: Mass virtual hosting - how to handle ftp?
Date Thu, 02 Dec 1999 16:39:47 GMT
Graham Leggett wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We have been looking at the mass virtual hosting module for Apache to
> create an environment where we can have lots of userids inside an LDAP
> database and host a website called <userid>.domain.com for each user.
> This is the easy part, mod_vhost_alias works great.
>
> The hard part is the fact that we also need to provide these users with
> ftp access to their directories... and we definitely don't want to
> create posix accounts so these people can do this, as this will mean
> extra work we want to avoid.
>
> Has this problem been solved by someone? If so, how?

Well, clearly your users must have some sort of account name and
password already, else how were you planning to authenticate them?  It
seems that if you already have an account database in LDAP it would be
relatively minor to propogate the information from LDAP to /etc/passwd.

Does your operating system have support for user account information in
LDAP?  PAM?

-jwb
--
Jeffrey W. Baker * jwb@cp.net