httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sascha Schumann <sas...@schumann.cx>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr Makefile.in
Date Sat, 25 Dec 1999 06:52:53 GMT
On Fri, Dec 24, 1999 at 02:13:38PM +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:
[...]
> Yes, that does appear to be the root of the problem, but it looks to me
> like even with that put back there's other problems:
>
> ben@heap:~/work/apache-2.0/src$ make clean
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.

    That is the non-portability I referred to earlier.

> I have no idea what this is. Presumably more marvellous stuff with @ in
> front of it.

    Well, I never tracked it down. In some areas, automake is
    just too bloated and produces unportable Makefiles.
    Fortunately, there is rescue in sight.

    I'm currently working on a replacement for automake,
    providing a subset of its functionality.  This system is
    testwise hooked up into PHP 4, but could also be used by
    Apache. Fortunately, not many changes are required to make it
    work.

    The idea behind it is to not duplicate information into each
    Makefile.in, but to store this information in a central
    place. This has two advantages:

    -   kills the dog-slow Makefile.am => Makefile.in process
    -   speeds up Makefile generation noticeably

    To be portable, it depends only on:

    -   some kind of UNIX make (GNU, BSD, SysV)
    -   working Bourne shell

    What I'm currently looking for is a portable way of tracking
    dependencies. If you have any idea on how to do that, I'd
    like to hear it.

--

          Regards,

                            Sascha Schumann