httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0 STATUS
Date Tue, 21 Dec 1999 18:50:11 GMT
On Tue, Dec 21, 1999 at 07:58:22AM -0500, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> When did we get out of pre-alpha development?

We didn't. The point of the change was to note that we are less vague
now on what stage of pre-alpha development we're in.

> >   +    Assuming more features aren't demanded for the 2.0 release
> >   +    2.0a1/b1: January 2000
> >   +    2.0     : Early 2000
>
> I guess I'm wondering when this was decided.

There was no objection when both of us agreed on it. I figured the
group was happy, and if they weren't, then I would have start a lively
arugment which I think will be useful. :)

> I would like to see an alpha
> in January, a beta in February, and a release when it is ready.

I define an alpha as non-feature-complete and barely compiling on one
platformi, and a beta as feature complete which needs more testing and
minor porting work. If my definition is agreed on, then what we name
the first code drop will depend solely on the quality of the code at
that point.

> We
> released 7 beta's for 1.3, I expect almost as many if not more for 2.0.  I
> don't want to make grand plans to release 2.0 in "early 2000" if we can't
> meet it.

I considered it nothing more than a goal; since we never care about
deadlines anyway, throwing another one in the pile wouldn't matter :).
But okay, I'll drop the 2.0 statement; no big deal.