httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: 1.3.10
Date Wed, 15 Dec 1999 17:15:23 GMT

In article <199912151415.JAA13626@devsys.jaguNET.com> you wrote:

>> What about the following plan:
>>
>> 1. Releasing 1.3.10 soon, without IPv6, but WITH EAPI, disabled by
>>    default, ifdefed, and titled as "experimental".
>> 2. Develop IPv6 slowly, without any pressure, and collect feedback and
>>    bugs of 1.3.10, including possible problems with EAPI.
>> 3. Releasing 1.3.11 later, somewhere in 2000, with IPv6. EAPI will be
>>    still disabled by default, and also ifdefed, but may be not
>>    "experimental" anymore.
>
> The more feedback we've had, the more it's becoming "obvious" that the
> EAPI patches will make things easier for one package (mod_ssl) and
> more difficult for others (such as the other SSL packages) that
> rely on patching the actual Apache source code. With that in mind,
> I'm -1 on including EAPI with 1.3.10, and maybe even for the
> rest of the 1.3.x tree.
>
> I'll adjust STATUS later today :)

Sorry, but it is balderdash that EAPI makes the life of anything harder. The
only argument which was given was that Ben's job of adjusting Apache-SSL
_once_ for Apache 1.3.10 would cost him more time than usual.  That's a true
argument and might be nasty, of course. But it's a job which just have to be
done _ONCE_ and not by the users and so IMHO shouldn't actually count for the
question whether we include EAPI or not into Apache 1.3.10. And even if you
want that it counts, I even volunteer to do the adjustments for Ben's
Apache-SSL once (although I'm rather sure Ben wants to do it himself, of
course). So don't vote on the issue based on this point, please. Consider
other things first, please.
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com