httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: mod_ssl
Date Mon, 13 Dec 1999 09:26:33 GMT

In article <38542C24.CD4F8DDA@algroup.co.uk> you wrote:
> "Ralf S. Engelschall" wrote:
>>
>> In article <Pine.LNX.4.10.9912120146490.16305-100000@nebula.lyra.org> you wrote:
>> > On Sun, 12 Dec 1999, Eli Marmor wrote:
>> > [...]
>> > I would simply recommend keeping mod_ssl as a patch set.
>>
>> Yes, me too. Although etablishing an all-in-one package is appreciated by the
>> users, it would in practice lead to some sort of a split between the official
>> version of Apache and the "enhanced" version. At least I personally will not
>> accept to play this game myself, because technically it doesn't provide real
>> benefits and at the same time it would bother some other people. If someone
>> other wants to do it, ok. But I personally will not do this, because it would
>> also require lots of additional responsibleness I don't want to take (because
>> I see not where this really is worth the effort).
>>
>> So, until mod_ssl could be really fully integrated into Apache (if the
>> export stuff is solved sometimes in the future, etc.) its ok to leave
>> it a separate package. But nevertheless it would be REALLY useful for
>> the community to have EAPI included into Apache 1.3.0 as _OPTIONAL_ part
>> (fully #ifdef'ed as it already is). This way it doesn't hurt Apache-SSL
>> or any other modules, but the "patching" is reduced to a minimum.
>
> Not that it is a big deal, but clearly the EAPI patches would be
> _exactly_ where the Apache-SSL patches are, which would indeed be
> painful for Apache-SSL.

You mean painful for you _once_ to update the Apache-SSL patches because of
the conflicting source location, right? Sure, _once_ this causes more work than
usual. But technically it would not conflict with Apache-SSL, because EAPI is
100% #ifdef'ed and disabled until one uses --enable-rule=EAPI, of course. But
keep in mind Ben, that even if Apache-SSL doesn't use EAPI hooks and contexts,
your Apache-SSL can at least also benefit from the integrated shared memory
support (MM). This way you can easily provide a shared memory based session
cache for Apache-SSL, too. So I think EAPI in Apache 1.3.10 can be also
a benefit for Apache-SSL and other modules.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com