httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: mod_ssl
Date Sun, 12 Dec 1999 18:46:42 GMT

In article <Pine.LNX.4.10.9912120146490.16305-100000@nebula.lyra.org> you wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Dec 1999, Eli Marmor wrote:
> [...]
> I would simply recommend keeping mod_ssl as a patch set.

Yes, me too. Although etablishing an all-in-one package is appreciated by the
users, it would in practice lead to some sort of a split between the official
version of Apache and the "enhanced" version. At least I personally will not
accept to play this game myself, because technically it doesn't provide real
benefits and at the same time it would bother some other people. If someone
other wants to do it, ok. But I personally will not do this, because it would
also require lots of additional responsibleness I don't want to take (because
I see not where this really is worth the effort).

So, until mod_ssl could be really fully integrated into Apache (if the
export stuff is solved sometimes in the future, etc.) its ok to leave
it a separate package. But nevertheless it would be REALLY useful for
the community to have EAPI included into Apache 1.3.0 as _OPTIONAL_ part
(fully #ifdef'ed as it already is). This way it doesn't hurt Apache-SSL
or any other modules, but the "patching" is reduced to a minimum.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com