httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@devsys.jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Apache autoconf leakage :-)
Date Tue, 07 Dec 1999 21:18:54 GMT
rbb@apache.org wrote:

> > Yeah... basically the idea was/is to create another macro, AC_P_DEFINE
> > which added a prefix to the arguments. For example:
> >
> >    AC_P_DEFINE(APR_,HAVE_STDIO)
> >
> > would result in #define APR_HAVE_STDIO
>
> But this isn't good enough.  The main problem is the macros that we don't
> specifically define.  I keep thinking PACKAGE and VERSION, and they are
> automatically defined for us.  That's the kind of macro we need to stop.

I've looked into this even more, having a sort of universal
"prefix" for autoconf, and it's possible, but it'll be _big_.
After all, the m4 macros themselves assume the HAVE_FOOBAR
things themselves, for example, when doing certain tests.
So we would need to generate a crud where we muck with these.
Plus, we need to keep track of which one's should be prefixed
(just the HAVE_ family?).

The only thing I can think of is what was suggested before. Right
before autoconf finishes, we create a "universal" config.h that
outside code uses that has protected macros. We should also
have these not in some universal './include' location to ease
problems when third party modules use '-I/whatever/apache-2.0/src/include'
                "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate??"