httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: Mass virtual hosting - how to handle ftp?
Date Tue, 07 Dec 1999 07:04:03 GMT
On Sun, Dec 05, 1999 at 04:29:51PM -0500, Ritcey, Benjamin wrote:
> On an somewhat related note, I've been sorta fantasizing about APR &
> hacked-MPMs being used as the basis for ProFTPd 2.0 -- how reasonable would
> that be?  I'm assuming very...

Single-connection protocols should be possible without any MPMs at
all. See mod_echo; you can just write a protocol-handling module. Of
course, no serious protocol has been written yet, so there are sure to
be unforseen (and even forseen) obstacles.

>From what I know of FTP, active-mode should be possible as well; the
protocol module would just open connections to the client. Passive
mode would require some cooperation from the MPM, since I guess we'd
really want the same server process that accepted the initial
connection to accept the data connection. My alleged cluefulness ends
at funky features like proxy ftp (connections from one server to
another).