httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: Apache autoconf leakage :-)
Date Mon, 06 Dec 1999 23:08:08 GMT
On Mon, Dec 06, 1999 at 09:05:28AM -0500, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> That's why I want to fix this problem.  I believe the only fix, is to
> create two config header files.  This causes MUCH more work for the
> autoconf/automake maintainers, but much less for others.  The first config
> header is internal only, and has all of the regular autoconf/automake
> macros.  The second is a MUCH smaller version, which has namespace
> protected versions of these macros.

Actually, I still think the cleanest solution will be to prevent the
Apache headers that get touched by modules from using autoconf macros,
for the same reason that I thought so for APR. Those header files
consist basically of interfaces for our modules, and these interfaces
shouldn't change just because autoconf reported something different.

The only exception to this is the case of calls that are macros on
some platforms and functons on the others. This is just a performance
tweak and probably one that isn't noticable anyway, so I'd just
eliminate it, or allow those one or two config macros to leak
(namespace-protected of course).

>From a brief perusal, doing this doesn't look nearly as hard as I
originally thought. There is only one HAVE_ macro used in httpd.h,
which can be eliminated pretty easily. There's a NEED_ macro which
should, and probably already is, stuffed into ap_config.h instead.

Then, there are some OS-specific functions (the ones I saw were
#ifdefed _OSD_POSIX). If we absolutely have to export these functions
only on some systems (and I don't see why we do), then I guess we
should leak an AP_OS macro as well.

I'd rather someone else did this :), but once the automake work
settles down a bit, I can do it.

"This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly.  It should be thrown with
great force." -- Dorothy Parker