httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: .tgz MIME type?
Date Sun, 05 Dec 1999 23:15:40 GMT
>But that's the wrong answer. Not that I disagree about the hierarchy
>thing, but "gzipped tar" is a type in its own right, IMO.

If the media type represented a file type, it would be.  MIME media types
are (stupidly) defined by the program that should process them, not by
the format of the data.

If you want a PC to handle it correctly, call it "application/x-tar"
(because that's what WinZip calls all of its types, compressed or not).
If you want a Unix box to handle it correctly, call it
"application/octet-stream" (or x-tar with a gzip content-encoding).

There is, of course, nothing stopping you from writing up a specification
and registering an "application/gzip-tar", but that isn't going to help
you with existing installations.

....Roy