httpd-dev mailing list archives

From p.@sweng.stortek.com
Subject Re: OS/390 Translation
Date Fri, 03 Dec 1999 16:16:37 GMT
In a recent note, Greg Ames said:

> Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 11:04:07 -0500
>
> > Using '\n' would definitely cause problems for TPF and BS2000 (both EBCDIC
> > machines).
>
> Hmmm, I checked '\n' on OS/390 and got 0x15.  That works, because running it
> thru the
> standard ascii conversion produces 0x0a ( \012) which is \n in the most of the
> ascii world, and is the desired result.  What is '\n' on TPF and BS2000?
>
> My goal is to provide Apache support for EBCDIC content in charsets that don't
> map to ISO-8859-1.  I'm thinking that replacing most of the \012 strings with
> something more portable will simplify that task.

Martin Kraemer evidently pondered this issue and elected not to make
extensive changes to strings in Apache.  You may have a better idea,
but I'd recommend that you be guided by Martin's experience.

As I see it, changes to Martin's design are needed only if actual
conflict with the definition of '\012' or '\015' occurs in the host
charset.  This has not yet occurred in TPF, BS2000, or IBM-1047.

If it is necessary to change Martin's design, it will probably
to be necessary to rebuild with strcat() all strings now
containing '\012'.

-- gil
--
StorageTek