httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Galbavy <Peter.Galb...@knowledge.com>
Subject Re: Mass virtual hosting - how to handle ftp?
Date Fri, 03 Dec 1999 09:22:11 GMT
On Fri, Dec 03, 1999 at 10:13:20AM +0100, Graham Leggett wrote:
> Creating an /etc/passwd file with 6 500 000 userids in it is going to be
> a problem. Even with nss LDAP integration it means we have to maintain
> posix account information for each user object - what an enormous pain.
> Not to mention the added hassle of protecting our LDAP tree against the
> possibility of adding extra attributes allowing shell access to boxes,
> that sort of thing, only for the sake of ftp. Too much work, too much
> risk, too little gain.

If you really have 6.5M users or potential users, then you need to
spend some money getting the service working. One way of helping you
spend this money, I am sure, will be people who will offer to hack (a
useful, secure) ftpd with LDAP support. Then doing something like
Demon, and chroot'ing that user into their own space (all under one
UNIX userid) will allow them to "just do it".

We will of course offer to be one of those groups of people :)

Regards,
--
Peter Galbavy
Knowledge Matters Ltd