httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0 STATUS
Date Thu, 02 Dec 1999 07:30:59 GMT

In article <19991202063307.15032.qmail@hyperreal.org> you wrote:

>   A thread (of messages) in comp.programming.threads reminded me of this.
>   Blaaaah
> [...]
>   +
>   +    * We need a thread-safe resolver, at least on Unix.
>   +        Status: The best known candidate would be something from BIND
>   +        (v8 or v9?) The only other option would be to mutex all the
>   +        resolver calls,

BTW, is thread-safety really enough for Apache? I mean this way you more or
less just avoid side-effects caused by preemptive threading. But IMHO for
Apache you also need _asynchronous_ resolving to make sure the server
processes are not blocked out a thread inside the resolver library. Something
like GNU adns, BIND's libares, etc. I think is needed here...

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com