httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <stodd...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: 1.3.10 release... postponed
Date Wed, 29 Dec 1999 00:58:44 GMT
> Apache 2.0 is "close"? <grin> You're kidding, right? Sure, there is
> already a lot of great stuff in Apache 2.0 but IMHO Apache 2.0 is far
> away from being "close" to a release.

We've been working with Apache 2.0 for over a year now and it's time to
start getting some community feedback.  IMHO,we are pretty close to a beta
(1 to 2 months), provided we do not add any complex new function to the 2.0
code base (and if you want something, now is the time to SPEAK UP,
especially API changes). We've seen some positive reports from people using
the apache-apr tree on Linux (pthread server w/o APR), which at least
validates the feasibility of running a threaded web server on Linux. I'm
cautiously optimistic that we can get a release out a couple of months after
the first beta. The beta test will quickly confirm/disprove me.  I agree
that it will take at least a year after release before we see large number
of sites migrating to Apache 2.0.

Bill
stoddard@raleigh.ibm.com