httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@lerdorf.on.ca>
Subject Re: Pause to Consider
Date Thu, 25 Nov 1999 21:04:13 GMT
> > Well, we have actually thought about it.  I don't quite understand why you
> > think the "cat *.m4" stuff would break apxs in any way.
>
> Because what do you want do with *.m4 files outside the source tree? The
> end user doesn't have any development tools like Autoconf, Automake,
> m4, etc. installed. So you cannot even bootstrap and create a local
> configure script there. For this reason it's important that modules are
> really stand-alone. And one implication is that you can't just merge
> *.m4 files into a global configure.in.

Right, but this has nothing to do with apxs as apxs is used today.  apxs
is a DSO-building tool and when we are building an external module as a
DSO there is no need to do anything.  All we need is something that will
tell the external module how to build and where to install stuff.

I do understand your concern regarding statically linked external
modules.  I don't see how this can be done cleanly.  The current
implementation is a hack job.  Such a hack job can be done again.  Short
of mimicing autoconf/automake in some mammoth homegrown configure
mechanism how would you do it?

-Rasmus