httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Simple Object Access Protocol
Date Tue, 02 Nov 1999 22:27:27 GMT
> The reason not to is that SOAP makes use of a security hole in most
> firewalls (the ones that only check port numbers) in order to transfer
> non-Web information across port 80 in spite of a site's security restrictions.
> Other than that, it is just an incredibly stupid way to perform RPC.
> As soon as the firewall makers get off their butts and fix the holes,
> SOAP will be completely useless.

Well, one feature it does give you is the fact that it makes an easily
parsable XML packet which means it is much more portable.  No need to
strain your brain trying to figure out DCOM.  I completely agree with you
on the firewall issue and I don't think SOAP should be tied to HTTP in any
way whatsoever similar to Allaire's WDDX.  Just a mechanism for completely
different end-points to send complex data objects back and forth between
each other.  Shoe-horning this through HTTP is dumb, but the concept of
portable data packets like this is useful, especially if we could all
agree on which one to use.

-Rasmus