httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: faster malloc for multithreaded programs
Date Mon, 01 Nov 1999 20:18:18 GMT
Well, this discussion probably belongs on the license list, but I have
been through the LGPL a few times now trying to figure out if I could
include LGPL'ed stuff in PHP and it is much too vague in my opinion.

Like this clause:

  When a "work that uses the Library" uses material from a header file
  that is part of the Library, the object code for the work may be a
  derivative work of the Library even though the source code is not.
  Whether this is true is especially significant if the work can be linked
  without the Library, or if the work is itself a library. The threshold
  for this to be true is not precisely defined by law.

If Apache is deemed a derivative work because of the above, then all of
Apache has to be LGPL'ed as per clauses that came before that
one.  Without a clear defitnition of what is a derivative work and what
isn't, I think this license is much too shaky.

-Rasmus