httpd-dev mailing list archives

From David Williams <dwi...@cisco.com>
Subject Re: UDP support?
Date Wed, 10 Nov 1999 20:33:09 GMT
Both views are correct.  One may open a connected udp socket which
allows a process to communicate with exactly one peer. (The
application may chose the udp port number, or allow the kernel to
chose an ephermal one.)

There are also situations where a server needs to open a well-known
port and listen for requests from multiple clients.  In this scenerio
the server may want to have a single process open the socket once.
So that retransmitted requests or multiple PDUs of a single
transaction all get handled by the same process, instead of randomly
be received by different processes.

My comment about the apache process model was related to using
unconnected udp sockets.

thanks,
-david