httpd-dev mailing list archives

From David Williams <dwi...@cisco.com>
Subject Re: UDP support?
Date Mon, 08 Nov 1999 21:05:09 GMT
Ryan, I would be interested in more info.  I haven't looked at the
APR, and I suppose I need to get a pointer to the new development code
base.  I understand the need to add reliability to UDP, and I would be
doing that for my application.  The HTTP/1.1 rfc doesn't require that
HTTP be ran over TCP, just that the transport layer be reliable, so I
was wondering if someone had successfully implemented an alternative
transport layer.

I want to leverage the reliability, portability, 3rd party modules,
cgi interface, TCP transport, etc. that exists in Apache as a basis to
build a new service.   But I also want UDP capability.

With apache 1.3.9, my concern is that adding UDP support would not be
trival because of the process model where a pool of child processes
are blocking on a call to accept(), the conn_rec, and lower level I/O
routines.  All of which presume a process will only communicate with a
single client over a single TCP connection.  Does 2.0 help any here?

thanks,
-david