httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: fprintf(stderr in Apache and APR.
Date Wed, 17 Nov 1999 23:17:24 GMT
On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> also can't use ap_log_[r]error.  To make matters worse, these fprintf's
> are the only way we can determine why we failed.  For example, very often
> if there is a problem, we will print out the message, and then either
> return or exit with a common value (usually 1 or 0).

yuck, APR calls exit()?  that makes it kind of hard for the application
using APR to have any sort of cleanup code...

typically i find when libraries do this it's usually because:

- the programmer was lazy (we all are ;)

or

- the API lacked sufficient methods of reporting errors

these are errors, and you should be able to return them via the
apr_status_t ... right?

i know errors are a pain in the ass to return in certain cases, such as
fork()/exec()... see "lazy" :)

Dean