httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Pause to Consider
Date Fri, 26 Nov 1999 18:49:43 GMT
On Fri, 26 Nov 1999, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> I guess the only real difference in our approach here is that I'd like to
> see each module split up into its own subdir while you are advocating
> having a single directory where all the standard modules and mushed
> together and share a common standalone configure script.  I'd like to
> separate each module's configure needs and at distribution time generate
> the global configure script.  I still maintain that this approach meets
> your goal of making each and every module look the same, whether they be
> internal or external, better than your approach.

Ack!

We have 34 standard modules in 1.3. I do not think we should add 34
subdirs in the source tree, just to satify some configuration issue. To
me, that would imply that the configuration system isn't meeting our
needs. The standard modules do *not* need to be built externally. Come
on... they have quite a bit different status than other modules.

Further, if you truly want to separate the modules out in different
directories, each with their own .m4 script, then you're going to have
replication among the .m4 scripts. What a maintenance nightmare. Every
additional directory will also slow down the build process.

Please allow the standard modules to reside in a single directory!

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/