httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <>
Subject Re: axe proxy support from 2.0?
Date Fri, 12 Nov 1999 23:16:08 GMT
On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Michael Hall wrote:
> > Greg Stein wrote:
> > > This came up a while back, and there is actually an item in the STATUS
> > > file, apparently (Manoj said so :-), but why do we still have the proxy
> > > support in Apache? It seems like it has a largish number of bugs and is
> > > pretty orthogonal to the rest of Apache. Can't we just axe it and refer
> > > people to Squid?
>   Anyway, hadn't planned on jumping in yet being new but as an Apache,
> mod_perl user I also have to say I'd like to see some incarnation of mod_
> proxy. A lot of us use a two server setup with a standard light-weight
> Apache setup using mod-rewrite (or ProxyPass) and ReverseProxyPass as a
> front-end for the heavy-weight Apache/mod_perl backend.

I believe that my modified proposal would still work for you.

I'm currently advocating dropping the term/thought/belief that we're a
forward/reverse proxy and just support fetching remote resources (with
optional/smart caching of those resources).

In other words, rather than using Proxy directives (which is really a
misnomer for the way it seems most people use this stuff), you might
(instead) have something like this:

  RemoteAlias /my-other-server http://my-other-server/public

Caching could be determined something like this:

  <Location /my-other-server>
    CacheSize 5M
    CacheDuration 3h

(making up parameters here...)