httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Hansen <jer...@xxedgexx.com>
Subject Re: OFF TOPIC: Any general apache administration mail lists?
Date Mon, 15 Nov 1999 01:12:05 GMT

Thanks for the responses.  I understand better now.  Never really
considered the performance cost of locking log writes from Apache's
perspective.

I think I've come up with a solution though that would allow me to let
things be on separate machines and not have a cheesy script to move things
around.

Let's say I have each web server write to /var/log/httpd which is not
shared via nfs, then on the main server were web trends is running I could
have it nfs mount each web server:

webtrend:/var/log/httpd/{web1,web2,web3}

This would allow me to just use multiple log files in webtrends for one
profile, which you can do simple by separating the files by pipes in the
profile.

Hmm, that would work well, allow all writes to be local and not have the
need of writing scripts to gather and combine and this way I can still use
webtrends' scheduling without fear of things being out of sync.  Cool.

Well, thanks for the help.  Sorry it took me so long to "get it", but I
perceived things to be much easier then what they really are.

-jeremy

> At 10:16am Nov 14, 1999, Jeremy Hansen wrote:
>
> > I understand what you're saying.  Could you explain reason why the
> > logs writes are *not* locked?
>
> Performance. If Apache has to be so careful about different pools stepping
> on each others' toes, that's wasted effort. Reliability. What about pool
> failures, stuck NFS connections, etc.? Would there be a possibility that a
> misbehaving pool could lock the log file and in doing so cripple the pools
> running on other servers? Would using a common logfile reintroduce the
> sort of single point of failure that multiple-server setups are supposed
> to prevent?
>
> > Now I need to write ugly scripts to combine log files and it pretty
> > much throws a lot of the functionality of WebTrends' auto scheduling
> > and updating out the window unless I have my logs sync every 15
> > minutes.  It just looks ugly to me, that's all.
>
> Talk to the folks at WebTrends. It is very, very typical for busy Web
> sites to have multiple servers, each recording their own set of log files.
> If WebTrends can't handle that, then thay should see an "opportunity"
> here. ;-)
>
> -Peter

http://www.xxedgexx.com | jeremy@xxedgexx.com
Y2K.  We're all gonna die.