httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Hansen <jer...@xxedgexx.com>
Subject Re: OFF TOPIC: Any general apache administration mail lists?
Date Sun, 14 Nov 1999 15:16:00 GMT

I understand what you're saying.  Could you explain reason why the logs
writes are *not* locked?

Also a few people seem to have done what I'm trying to do although it
sound like it may be other platforms besides Linux.  When I attempt to put
the lock file on an nfs volume, any ideas why httpd goes into D state and
the serve hangs?

I'm going to just write to local disks now, but this just seems like
something that should be possible.  I don't know if it's apache's fault or
Linux NFS fault, I'm not a developer but all I keep hearing is "you don't
get it, it's not supposed to do that" which is fine, but it seems like
functionality that could be taken advantage of.  Now I need to write ugly
scripts to combine log files and it pretty much throws a lot of the
functionality of WebTrends' auto scheduling and updating out the window
unless I have my logs sync every 15 minutes.  It just looks ugly to me,
that's all.

Thanks
-jeremy

> Jeremy Hansen wrote:
> >
> > Again, if this is what I need to do, then I guess I will, but I'dd like to
> > hear more feedback.  Also I'm confused as to what you say about LockFile.
> > This is what the docs read:
> >
> > The main reason for changing it is if the logs directory is NFS mounted,
> > since the lockfile must be stored on a local disk. The PID of the main
> > server process is automatically appended to the filename.
>
> I think you are completely missing the point here ... the lock file is
> used (when it is used at all) to serialise the accept() function, which
> some OSes don't like having multiple processes use at the same time on
> the same socket. It has _absolutely nothing to do with logs_, except
> that by default it goes in the same directory.
>
> Logfiles are simply not locked. They're written with a single write(),
> which is assumed to be atomic. I have no doubt that under NFS it ain't.
>
> > This sound like what I'm doing, is it not?  Also like I said, using
> > USE_FCNTL_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT I see no httpd.lock file created, I only see
> > it with USE_FLOCK_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT.
>
> ISTR httpd.lock is unlinked with fcntl(), but can't be with flock(). But
> I could be wrong.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ben.
>
> --