httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Working on autoconfing Apache 2.0
Date Tue, 23 Nov 1999 15:31:52 GMT

I always thought portability was a MAJOR concern of ours.  If we lose
portability by using autoconf, then we need to not use autoconf.  My goal
when beginning to work on Apache 2.0 and APR, was to work on ALL platforms
that 1.3 worked on, only better.  :)

If that means backing out the current autoconf work done in APR, then so
be it.  That won't kill me by any means.

Ryan

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> >
> > One drawback is
> > that we loose support for some more or less esoteric platforms where
> > libtool still has no knowledge or still is broken (we could fix this
> > ourself, even libtool is a little bit unfriendly to enhance and fix).
> > But the advantage is that as the same time we get an easy solution for
> > DSOs under mostly all other platforms, including mostly all major Unix
> > flavors. IMHO this is worth the decision to use libtool. Why? Because I
> > think for other reasons (related to Autoconf, etc.) we already have to
> > accept to loose some too problematic platforms we supported in the past.
> > So effectively it wouldn't really harm if we choose libtool.
> >

> Personally, I think it's best if the group decides whether or not we
> reduce portability as a major goal in 2.0. That is basically what this
> boils down to: do we drop portability as a major consideration (which
> many people say is one main reason for Apache's success) or do we
> simply say "we're designing for the main OSs (whatever they are) and
> that's that."
>
> Whichever way it is, I think it's something that the group needs to
> determine.
> --
>    Jim Jagielski   [|]   jim@jaguNET.com   [|]   http://www.jaguNET.com/
>                 "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate??"