httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject RE: Time to roll the 1.3.10 tarball
Date Mon, 22 Nov 1999 16:02:39 GMT

> Sounds fine to me, but I am still looking into two bug reports
> 1. support for unbuffered CGI's; I have a sample Win32 console program
> that has no problems with CGI's that produce output in intervals, yet
> Apache does. The sample program uses the same code to launch CGI's as
> Apache, but reading the output may be different.
> Has this been fixed yet?

There was a patch for this a while ago.  I sent it to somebody else
privately last week, and he tells me he can't get it to work.  I have not
had a chance to go back to my original patch and find his current
problem.  I do not believe this issue will be solved in the 1.3 tree.
Apache 1.3 uses signals to timeout CGI processes on Unix, and this ability
just isn't there on WinNT.  We can unbuffer theCGI output, but we just
can't stop the CGI if it goes into a tight loop.  This issue will be
solved properly in Apache 2.0.  We are timing things out differently in
Apache 2.0, so we know this will work.

> even a simple test program which only does
>   LoadLibrary( "ApacheModuleProxy.dll", ...)
> fails on Windows 95, but not on Windows NT - has this been fixed yet?

I doubt very much that this issue will be solved for Apache 1.3 either.
Windows 95 is not a platform that was ever designed for use as a server of
any kind.  There will always be somethings that won't work on 95/98.
Unbuffered CGI's for instance won't work.  There have been some reports
about why mod_proxy won't load on 95/98, but it isn't really worth it to
fix this problem for 1.3.  There has been a lot of talk recently of
re-writing mod_proxy for Apache 2.0.  Mos_proxy is a VERY complicated
module, and it makes more sense to leave 1.3's alone and get 1.3.10 out
the door, than to try to fix a major problem in the last release of a
series.

Of course, this is all MHO, and if somebody can submit a patch for either
of these issues, then I would love to test and commit it.  :-)

Ryan

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd