httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <>
Subject Re: proxy caching is important
Date Thu, 18 Nov 1999 12:23:18 GMT
> > BTW, if the hash table functions aren't in APR already, they will be there
> > soon.  I am having a hard time keeping up with everything right now. :-)
> That's because something like the caching doesn't go in APR. It is easily
> built on *top* of APR. You can keep up if you keep stuff *out* of APR :-)
> And on a separate note: I also believe the HTTP/FTP fetching stuff does
> not go into APR either, but into a utility library on top of it.

That's exactly my point though.  The cache was to specific.  What belongs
in APR is the hash functions, nothing more.  What belongs in mod_cache is
the add_cache/remove_cache functions.  Those functions USE the APR hash

I have been trying very hard not to put things into APR.  I do not want to
tie APR to Apache in any way.  The more cruft we put into APR that makes
it a web server library, the less likely other people are to use it.  If I
am not doing a good job of keeping things out of APR, let me know.  I will
struggle to fix it.  :-)

Ryan Bloom
4205 S Miami Blvd