httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: fprintf(stderr in Apache and APR.
Date Thu, 18 Nov 1999 12:02:12 GMT

> yuck, APR calls exit()?  that makes it kind of hard for the application
> using APR to have any sort of cleanup code...

Exactly.  The exit calls have been there since the beginning.  They used
to be in the functions when the functions were in ap.  Now they are a part
of a separate library, and exit has to go away.

> - the API lacked sufficient methods of reporting errors
>
> these are errors, and you should be able to return them via the
> apr_status_t ... right?

That's the question.  Currently, these functions don't have interfaces
like the rest of the functions, because they came from Apache.  Do we
change their interfaces, and automatically break EVERY module out there
because we are changing our API's?  Or do we just find some other way to
return different errors for different cases for these functions.

> i know errors are a pain in the ass to return in certain cases, such as
> fork()/exec()... see "lazy" :)

I don't have any problem returning errors, I just want to make sure we do
it with the least amount of pain to our users.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd