httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: UDP support?
Date Mon, 08 Nov 1999 19:54:22 GMT

I happen to have done some work on getting Apache to use UDP, and I can
tell you it isn't worth it.  I did the work a few years ago, and what we
found was that you basically have to re-create TCP to get the kind of
reliability that is required for a web server.

Having said that, APR could be used to abstract out the transport layer.

If you want more info, let me know.

Ryan

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, David Williams wrote:

> Is there any work going on in apache 2.0 or 1.3.x to support UDP as a
> transport layer.  Or support anything other than TCP?
>
> thanks,
> -david

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd