httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: APR all in one lib?
Date Fri, 05 Nov 1999 19:44:49 GMT

First of all, I'm back and trying to dig out from under my pile of e-mail.
The one big library is a good idea, and I was working on it when I left.
Good to see somebody else did it for me.  :)  The idea of not having to
build all of APR is important, and it will soon be possible to build APR
with configure options to not build some sections.  I think it is
currently possible to build APR without threads.

I don't see this as a reason not to build everything into one big library.

Ryan

On Sat, 23 Oct 1999, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> In what way does it make it significantly more manageable?  Just by having
> to link in one library vs. a couple?
>
> Here's why I ask - if one design goal of APR is to build a body of
> portable code that could be used in other projects, it may be useful to be
> able to partition functionality for situations where you need one type but
> not another.  IIRC, that was one reason people elected not to use NSPR.
>
> Though it's hard for me to come up with a credible example for a server
> that would need abstracted network but not abstracted filesystem I/O, I
> suppose.  =)
>
> 	Brian

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd