httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Fabien COELHO <coe...@cri.ensmp.fr>
Subject Re: patch to force name virtual hosts
Date Mon, 15 Nov 1999 11:52:25 GMT

> I think there's probably been some confusion over syntax differences
> between Apache 1.2 and 1.3.  If you do the <VirtualHost 10.2.14.2> as
> suggested, it doesn't matter whether the domain correctly resolves to that
> IP -- if the server gets a Host: header with the domain specified in the
> ServerName directive it will respond correctly, even if the forward lookup
> doesn't resolve to that IP.  I'm not sure if 1.2 servers behaved that way.

If this is **really** the case, the ServerName documentation must be
updated accordingly. Also, I may wish to specify a different ServerName
for a given virtual host: for instance, "dev.apache.org" could be
redirected to "www.apache.org" if you want, for error handling purposes.
The two functionnalities looks distinct to me.

>From the documentation of apache 1.3.9:

ServerName directive
Syntax: ServerName fully-qualified domain name
Context: server config, virtual host

The ServerName directive sets the hostname of the server; this is only
used when creating redirection URLs. If it is not specified, then the
server attempts to deduce it from its own IP address; however this may not
work reliably, or may not return the preferred hostname. For example:

See also the page about virtual hosts.

--
Fabien Coelho ___ coelho@cri.ensmp.fr ___ http://www.cri.ensmp.fr/~coelho