httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: axe proxy support from 2.0?
Date Fri, 12 Nov 1999 01:01:03 GMT
On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Greg Stein wrote:

> This came up a while back, and there is actually an item in the STATUS
> file, apparently (Manoj said so :-), but why do we still have the proxy
> support in Apache? It seems like it has a largish number of bugs and is
> pretty orthogonal to the rest of Apache. Can't we just axe it and refer
> people to Squid?
>
> It seems like there are sufficient alternatives in the open-source world
> that we shouldn't try to pretend to be proxy developers...

Except that a proxy fits in with a web server very very usefully for a lot
of things.  It lets you fetch various content from various remote
pages.  It lets you do SSIs of remote files (with a two line
hack).  etc.  Those things can't be done with an external proxy.  In fact,
I would think it would be useful to expand the idea of the proxy to
include a better specified interface that lets modules say "gimme this
page".

Now, maybe the current proxy should be ripped out and thrown away to give
someone incentive to implement one that works right and is better
integrated (which doesn't necessarily mean more closely integrated, since
tight integration can be a very negative thing, but just integrated using
a better defined interface).

There are a lot of people using Apache's proxy because it is easy to setup
and provides them with an integrated solution.  Something like squid can
be quite... a handful.