httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: bug in chunked encoding on HEADs
Date Sun, 07 Nov 1999 01:48:06 GMT
On Sat, 6 Nov 1999, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> >...if r->header_only is true, then the side-effect to enable chunked
> >encoding will never be evaluated.  This means that a GET and a HEAD
> >return different headers, which isn't deadly but isn't great.
>
> That isn't a bug.  Transfer-Encoding is a message header which will
> differ based on the request information.  Including it in a HEAD response
> may lead to more broken behavior than just different headers.

I'm afraid I don't quite understand.  What sort of broken behaviour would
it lead to?

2616 says:

   The HEAD method is identical to GET except that the server MUST NOT
   return a message-body in the response. The metainformation contained
   in the HTTP headers in response to a HEAD request SHOULD be identical
   to the information sent in response to a GET request. This method can
   be used for obtaining metainformation about the entity implied by the
   request without transferring the entity-body itself. This method is
   often used for testing hypertext links for validity, accessibility,
   and recent modification.

Where does that allow for different message headers between a HEAD and
GET?  HEAD doesn't return a mesasge-body (and, by implication, it doesn't
return an entity-body either), but it still has to return information
about that message-body.  Sure, it can change based on the request
information but that is information other than if it is a HEAD or GET.