httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Finch <...@dotat.at>
Subject Re: proxy caching is important
Date Thu, 18 Nov 1999 14:56:22 GMT
Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:

>The problem of checking the whether cached data has changed on disk can
>be handled the same way a normal forward proxy handles it - using data
>aging and shift-reload in the browser to force a cache refresh.

In the situation where we use reverse proxy caches (an almost-entirely
static content server) it's possible to do much better than the usual
"guess and hope we aren't too far wrong" approach to cache freshness.
We know about all the updates to the content on the server and we have
a mechanism for notifying the caches of changes, so when users alter
their pages they see the update immediately without having to fiddle
with shift-reload (which they find quite tricky).

The cacheing mechanism in Apache should aim for that level of service.

Tony.
--
how to dot at