httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Painful changes. :-)
Date Sat, 27 Nov 1999 22:57:03 GMT
Ryan Bloom wrote:

> I have spent the last half day changing the parameter order for some of
> the functions we moved from Apache to APR.  I started with the changes
> that didn't really affect too many people, and those have been committed.
> Now, I am modifying the tables logic.  This will be a truly painful change
> for our module writers.  I have updated all of the standard modules, but I
> am wary of committing this.
>
> This is a HUGE change, and it will break every module out there, and for
> big modules, it could cause people to spend days finding all of our
> parameter re-ord's.  I would like input on this before I commit it.
>
> The latest patch (which only gets three funcs, I believe) can be found at
> http://www.ntrnet.net/~rbb/apache/bigchange.diff
>
> Please let me know what you think about continuing this project.  I am
> having doubts.  :-)

Since it was my idea in the first place, I guess I'd better say that I
wasn't really intending that we should change existing widely used
functions - although that would probably be a good thing, I consider it
to be inessential. I just didn't want to introduce yet more arbitrary
parameter ordering when it could be avoided without too much pain.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html