httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Talebbeik <sae...@ix.netcom.com>
Subject Re: setsockopt(...,SO_SNDTIMEO,...)
Date Sun, 21 Nov 1999 03:02:52 GMT
I can see this option in /usr/include/sys/socket.h on Solaris, AIX, and HPUX.
So the #define for this option is indeed available on the major Unix variants.

However, I am not sure if this option will really work as you expect.
It needs to be tested.

The first test is whether the setsockopt() really works and does not
return a -1 for this option. The second test is to flood the tcp layer
and then do a send() and see if you get out of it during the time out.

What makes me concerned is a comment that I read in Solaris's
online support. It claimed that this option may not work. However the
person who logged the call was not sure. The bottom line, the option is there
but it needs rigorous testing to make sure that it works.

If the issue here is blocking on a send(), I think using a non-blocking file
descriptor is the way out. I hope this helps.

     ST.