httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Andrew Misel <steve.mi...@interpath.net>
Subject Re: patch to force name virtual hosts
Date Mon, 15 Nov 1999 11:32:38 GMT
Hey folks.

Perhaps a language barrier is making it difficult for us to understand this
patch.

I looked the code over the day it was posted and think Fabien is trying to
provide NameVirtual support for domains which may or may not resolve to the
local IP.

In other words, let's make believe I'm a hosting provider.  You sign up for a
website at my company and transfer a domain or move an existing one.  There's
that brief period of time where you'd have to access your site with just the
IP (before DNS moves over).  If I'm providing HTTP/1.1 style hosting, you
wouldn't be able to access your site until your domain was registered or
pointing to my Virtual IP.

With Fabien's patch, it looks like the end-user can specify the NameVirtual IP
address *and* his domain, thus allowing 1.1 style hosting accounts to be
accessed before their domain resolves to that IP.

Maybe?

-Steve