httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: axe proxy support from 2.0?
Date Mon, 15 Nov 1999 06:43:03 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:

> The second issue, which actually underlies some of the "bang for our buck"
> is that the proxy stuff has not been ported to the 2.0 framework yet.
> Nobody seems ready to step up and do that, so I recommended to just kill
> the thing. Feedback is against that, though :-), so it looks like we have
> a trimming rather than an axe-ing (how the heck do you spell that? :-)

I think it's less a trimming and more a reorganisation.

The proxy module is made up of some useful bits that could be even more
useful if it were possible to use them elsewhere. The caching code for
example could replace the functionality provided by mod_mmap_static,
providing a full blown cache for all requests, including normal
filesystem requests as well as remote requests. An available HTTP client
library would also be really useful, and would make patching in HTTPS
support behind a proxy a lot easier (if designed correctly).

I wouldn't mind stepping forward to help on some of this stuff, however
I have not yet hacked inside v2.0 yet. If you need someone to test any
of the code, I can give it a bash.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon